||Boise State University, powered by creativity and innovation, stands uniquely positioned in the Northwest as a metropolitan research university of distinction. Learn more about Boise State and the City of Boise at https://www.boisestate.edu/about/boise-and-beyond/. Boise State University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Boise State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply. We are a welcoming campus that supports diversity and inclusion.
|Job Summary/Basic Function:
Provide in-depth, specialized, and/or comprehensive advising to faculty and students regarding class choices, curriculum options, majors, departmental and University policies and procedures, and other academic needs.
Fully competent and productive professional contributor who applies acquired job skills, policies, and procedures to complete substantive assignments/projects/tasks of moderate scope and complexity. Works independently with general supervision; exercises judgment within defined guidelines and practices to determine appropriate action. May provide guidance and assistance to entry level professionals and/or support employees.
60 % of Time Academic Advisor will:
- Maintain positive connections with faculty and staff in focus area to facilitate student connections.
- Coordinate communication of information related to important dates, deadlines and procedures to advisees.
- Monitors student progress and suggests and implements corrective actions with students encounter academic difficulties. Meets with students with academic probation suspension or academic misconduct issues.
- Keeps current on university and college policies and procedures, and rules and regulations to assist students in meeting academic requirements.
- Acts as a source of information for prospective students, and actively recruits students through participation in various university and college sponsored orientations and events.
35 % of Time Academic Advisor will:
- Academic Advising duties for currently enrolled and inactive students in an online format as well as in person.
- Review transcripts assessing the needs of the institution, completing academic adjustments, 2nd degree forms and credit for prior learning forms for students on as needed basis.
- Conduct an analysis of student’s strengths and availability to assist student in successfully determining the best plan of study for the student to follow.
- Reduce barriers for the student by assessing student’s needs and assisting them with university policies, forms and processes as needed.
- Communicate institutional deadlines, policies and other needed information to the student in a timely professional manner.
- Stay current related to advising and student support knowledge.
- Responsible for monitoring and updating student information in the SIS and MS Access database as needed.
- Tracks health requirements, RN licenses and policy compliance paperwork.
- Stays current in policies and procedures at the university level.
- Interfaces with university processes for new student registration and online orientation.
- Participates in retention efforts on an ongoing basis.
- Works with the RN-BS Advising Team in regards to student advising and plans of study. Works with university office including Admissions Office, Registrar’s Office, Advising and Academic Enhancement, Payments and Disbursements, and others as needed.
- Externally work with non-baccalaureate RNs interested in returning to school (both local and out of state).
- Short term independent day to day decision making when conducting student data audits, initiate data queries to identify and assess student support services. Will provide input for web pages/newsletters/articles regarding relevant and appropriate student success stories and testimonials. Long term decision making based on contributing input on student needs and resources.
Remaining 5%: Other administrative responsibilities as assigned by the Manager of Student Enrollment and Advising Services or the Business Program Manager.
|Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- The ability to effectively communicate information and ideas
- Ability to develop specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize and accomplish the tasks at hand
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of institutional policies
- Good knowledge of: discussing career and educational goals with students; identifying student strengths and weaknesses.
- Experience: in student counseling, development, education or related field.
Bachelor’s Degree and 2 years of professional experience or equivalent relevant experience.
- 1 year or more of working with students in an online/distant format.
- Knowledge of academic and career advising philosophy and practices.
- Effective time management skills including task prioritization.
- Effective Interpersonal and technical skills enabling the person in this position to work with a wide range of colleagues.
- Familiarity with selected software programs to facilitate services for students and task completion (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access).
- Exhibits a strong desire for continued program improvement.
- Sensitive to working with confidential information.
|Salary and Benefits:
Salary commensurate with experience. Boise State University is committed to offering a benefits package that provides health and financial protection plans as well as resources to promote health and well-being. Our program provides flexibility so you can choose the benefits that are right for you and your family. Learn more about our benefit options at https://hrs.boisestate.edu/benefits/.
|Required Application Materials:
Please include a cover letter indicating your interest and qualifications for this position. Attach a resume that includes employment history (including dates of employment) and three professional references with contact information.