||Boise State University, powered by creativity and innovation, stands uniquely positioned in the Northwest as a metropolitan research university of distinction. Learn more about Boise State and the City of Boise at https://www.boisestate.edu/about/boise-and-beyond/. Boise State University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Boise State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply. We are a welcoming campus that supports diversity and inclusion.
|Job Summary/Basic Function:
Perform basic patient care functions to assist the nursing/clinical staff in a medical clinic with the examination or treatment of patients; perform related work.
Applies skills and job knowledge in area of specialization; may adapt procedures, operations, techniques, tools, materials, and/or equipment to meet needs of area of specialization; may work on non-routine tasks; resolves issues/makes working decisions within area of specialization or responsibility with minimal supervision.
60% of Time the Medical Assistant, Registered must:
- Work under supervision of a nurse or physician, performing routine duties and referring questions and problems to the supervisor.
- Maintain examining and treatment rooms by cleaning and setting up equipment, keeping rooms stocked with supplies, and preparing examining tables.
- Perform such duties as taking temperature, weight, blood pressure, and pulse.
- Prepare patients for examinations; advise patients concerning preparation for tests.
- Administer injections/treatments, perform EKGs and assist provider during examinations as needed.
- Obtain limited information from patients as to reason for visit, symptoms, etc.; chart patient information. Schedule appointments.
- Perform lab proficiency testing.
- Serve as advocate for Indigent Program organizing forms for providers, instruct patients, help patients complete forms, and serve as liaison with drug companies.
- May perform receptionist and/or routine clerical duties. May assist with minor surgical procedures involving knowledge of sterilization techniques and infection control. May coordinate health related informational campaigns.
- May perform standard diagnostic x-rays, develop film, and perform minor maintenance on film processor.
Additional Job Duties (35%):
- Welcome and check patients in to COVID vaccination clinic appointments
- Ensure patients have received Vaccine Information Statements (VISs), and explain the vaccine type and procedure
- Answer questions, accommodate language or literacy barriers and special needs of patients/parents.
- Screen for contraindications and precautions and review comfort measures to ensure the patient is ready for the vaccine.
- Follow all clinic protocols including but not limited to proper hand hygiene and donning and doffing of PPE; vaccine storage, temperature and transport; preparation and drawing up of vaccines; injuring reporting and logging; injection technique and administration; disposal and cleaning of equipment and supplies.
- Assist nurse or physician in monitoring and managing supply levels
- Support mass vaccination clinics, when and if it is possible to do so as determined by the Public Health office
- Cross train and serve in peer Public Health office programs and services including isolation nursing care and surveillance testing specimen collection.
Additional Job Duties (5%):
|Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
● Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services.
● Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems
● Ability to communicate information and ideas effectively
● Knowledge of the information and techniques needed to diagnose and treat injuries, diseases, including symptoms and preventive healthcare measures
Successful completion of an accredited Medical Assistant program and certification or registration by either the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA) or American Medical Technologists (AMT) or American Registry of Medical Assistants (ARMA).
LPN license will be accepted in lieu of AAMA or AMT or ARMA certification.
Successful completion of CPR/AED certification or willingness to certify within the first 30 days of employment.
- Experience in medication administration; performing clinical venipuncture, injections and vital signs; in obtaining health histories
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services
- Manage anaphylactic reactions, to include administration of epinephrine and antihistamines.
- Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems
- Ability to communicate information and ideas effectively
- Knowledge of the information and techniques needed to diagnose and treat injuries, diseases, including symptoms and preventive healthcare measures
- Bilingual fluency in reading, writing, and speaking Spanish is preferred but not required.
|Salary and Benefits:
Starting hourly rate $17.50/hour and commensurate with experience. Boise State University is committed to offering a benefits package that provides health and financial protection plans as well as resources to promote health and well-being. Our program provides flexibility so you can choose the benefits that are right for you and your family. Learn more about our benefit options at https://hrs.boisestate.edu/benefits/.
|Required Application Materials:
||Please submit a cover letter indicating your interest and qualifications as well as a resume.