Boise State University, powered by creativity and innovation, stands uniquely positioned in the Northwest as a metropolitan research university of distinction. Learn more about Boise State and the City of Boise at https://www.boisestate.edu/about/
Boise State University is building an inclusive community of faculty and staff whose unique skills, cultural contributions, work history, and perspectives create a rich and rewarding academic experience for our students. Research demonstrates that people thrive when they feel welcome, respected, and inspired. We seek applicants who are committed to helping us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community. Applications from members of historically marginalized groups, including women, BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color), those with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ+ community, those who have served in the military, and members of other underrepresented communities are strongly encouraged.
The Custodian must:
- Performs heavy-duty cleaning in locker rooms, classrooms, dormitories, and lavatories; cleans, sanitizes, and polishes; dusts, washes, sponge mops; sanitizes, and shampoos furniture, woodwork, walls, windows, and glass items; cleans shades and covers on light fixtures; removes waste and debris; selects products and compounds for cleaning jobs and applies according to procedures or manufacturers' specifications; orders supplies for custodial closets and stocks custodial closets; sweeps, strips, seals, and finishes wood, linoleum, and other floors; washes windows; removes and prepares draperies for cleaning; removes adhesives, tiles, and carpet; refinishes floors and prepares them for carpeting or special flooring; instructs temporary help.
- Operates heavy-duty scrubbing, buffing, shampooing, vacuuming, and wet/dry pickup equipment; performs preventive maintenance; finishes floors; uses snow blowers, hysters, airlift platforms, dollies, and carts; uses specialized sweepers; replaces belts, brushes, and bearings; insures floor and building area is secure; verifies doors are locked and lights and appliances are off; reports fire hazards and other emergencies.
- Custodians perform a variety of duties to help ensure facilities operate smoothly. This may include setting up for special events, providing direction, and answering basic questions regarding events for patrons. Moves furniture and similarly heavy items; sets up and climbs ladders; shovels snow from walkways.
- Housing facility custodial duties include preparation of rooms and apartments for assignment and general ongoing daily custodial services for the common areas of the housing facilities. Regular and reliable attendance at work is required because of the need for these tasks to be performed on a daily basis. This position performs heavy-duty cleaning practices to include: vacuuming, carpet extraction, floor cleaning and waxing, window cleaning, dusting, mopping, sweeping, vent cleaning, fixture cleaning, wall cleaning, and appliance cleaning (including stoves, ovens, and refrigerators). The position cleans and disinfects bathrooms on a daily basis, including but not limited to: toilets, tubs, shower stalls, walls, sinks, and floors. Use of household and commercial cleaning/disinfecting agents is required for this position.
- Custodians are responsible for interior and exterior trash and recycling removal in addition to restocking paper products, soap and sanitizers in common area bathrooms, and lobby areas – all on a daily basis. This position performs minor maintenance and repair functions such as: replacing light bulbs, screens, OCC batteries, smoke detector batteries, and air fresheners. Custodians will perform minor repairs on custodial equipment which they use regularly (listed in the section below), such as replacing belts, brushes and bearings. Custodians will assist in moving, assembling, setting up and adjusting furniture (beds, mattresses, tables, chairs and appliances) and will also aid in moving rolling carts.
- Custodians operate disinfectant vaporizers, carpet extractors, pressure washers, garbage compactor, rotary buffers and scrubbers, wet-dry vacuums, vacuum cleaners, snow removal equipment, leaf blowers, and all types of hand-operated custodial equipment. The employee must demonstrate an understanding of Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) and common custodial safety practices.
- Custodians are responsible for maintaining building security such as securing rooms and apartments and exterior doors when entering and leaving facilities. Custodians are expected to report any illegal or suspicious behaviors, fire hazards, and other safety concerns to their supervisors immediately. Departmental keys will be issued to Custodians, which they are responsible for at all times.
- Custodians are expected to maintain a high level of customer service in their interactions with residents, guests, and other staff members by providing direction and answering basic questions as well as following up with appropriate staff regarding concerns and issues.
- Custodians may also aid in the instruction of temporary help and student workers, under the Custodian’s supervisor’s direction and supervision. Custodians are also required to attend regular staff/departmental meetings and trainings. This position will also aid in maintaining the safety of housing facilities during inclement weather to include snow removal (shoveling and snow blowing), applying de-icing agents to walkways and stairs, etc.
Willingness to perform duties associated with commercial cleaning, including operating industrial-type cleaning equipment such as high-speed buffers and vacuum cleaners; cleaning restrooms, bath facilities, locker rooms, swimming pools, and similar facilities; moving heavy items such as tables, chairs, and bleachers; and repairing the equipment and related devices you operate.