Boise State University, powered by creativity and innovation, stands uniquely positioned in the Northwest as a metropolitan research university of distinction. Learn more about Boise State and the City of Boise at https://www.boisestate.edu/about/
Boise State University is building an inclusive community of faculty and staff whose unique skills, cultural contributions, work history, and perspectives create a rich and rewarding academic experience for our students. Research demonstrates that people thrive when they feel welcome, respected, and inspired. We seek applicants who are committed to helping us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community. Applications from members of historically marginalized groups, including women, BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color), those with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ+ community, those who have served in the military, and members of other underrepresented communities are strongly encouraged.
University Financial Services (UFS) is a unit within the Division of Finance and Administration. You will be joining an intentionally built culture with a strategic focus. Our team follows the Enterprise Operating System (EOS) to drive results. All members of UFS are involved.
Our value words are:
Team Oriented: understands the dynamics of the team; works cohesively and inclusively to accomplish a common goal.
Gets Things Done: prioritizes tasks and achieves the end goal.
Continuous Improvement: intentional commitment to making things better every day.
Ethical: honesty and integrity guide personal and professional behavior and judgment.
Adaptable: adjusts to change, being flexible, versatile, and cooperative.
Problem Solver: identifies and understands the interrelated components of an issue and seeks to implement solutions.
Respect and Inclusivity: demonstrate care, concern, and consideration for the perspective, needs, and feelings of others.
To learn more about our unit, visit https://www.boisestate.edu/vpfa-avpfa/about-us/.
|Job Summary/Basic Function:
The Senior Accountant is a member of a creative, inclusive, and supportive team striving to deliver outstanding service to the University, students, departments, and external customers. The ideal candidate is a self-motivated professional with a solid understanding of accounting concepts who enjoys learning, collaborating with team members, and cultivating relationships.
Analyzes complex financial reports and records and makes recommendations based on analysis and status of reserves, assets, and expenditures. Responsible to oversee and manage the contract management system. Facilitates compliance with state and federal regulations and policies.
Interviews will begin two weeks after posting, the week of June 6th.
The Controller’s Office supports the University’s Academic Mission by:
Ensuring the Integrity of the University’s financial accounting and reporting systems.
Safeguarding University assets.
Preparing complete, unbiased, and timely disclosures and financial reports.
Providing effective and efficient accounting and operational support while complying with University, federal, state, and regulatory financial guidelines.
This position has the opportunity for hybrid and/or flexible scheduling.
Recognized subject matter expert who knows how to apply theory and put it into practice with an in-depth understanding of the professional field with limited oversight from managers. Independently performs the full range of responsibilities within the function; requires deep job knowledge of area typically obtained through higher education combined with experience. Manages large projects or processes and problems faced are difficult and often complex; analyzes problems/issues of diverse scope and determines solutions. May manage programs that include formulating strategies and administering policies, processes, and resources; functions with a high degree of autonomy. Influences others regarding policies, practices, and procedures.
60% of the time the Accountant, Sr. must:
● Combines excellent analytical skills with a thorough knowledge of accounting principles to analyze financial reports and forecasts. Experience collaborating and/or managing a team of accountants and junior accountants.
● Look for trends and variances to ensure acceptable business practices and procedures have been followed for compliance with Federal and State laws. With the results of the research/analysis, conclusions must be drawn and communicated to the appropriate person/department. This can result in changes to a process or system for compliance reasons.
● Responsible for auditing finance records.
● May supervise or lead. Coordinate the development and implementation of policies and procedures for internal controls and business affairs to achieve the overall goals of the department.
35% of the time the Accountant, Sr. must:
● Assists in the monthly, quarterly, and fiscal year-end process as needed including but not limited to preparation of work papers, financial statement notes, reconciliations, and account analysis.
● Develop and document procedures for complex analysis and reconciliations.
● Provide mentoring, Cross-train, and backup other accountants with the possibility of supervision.
5% of the time the Accountant, Sr. must:
● Perform other duties as assigned.
|Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
● Ability to lead a team of professional staff, serve as an internal resource and consultant, and work collaboratively with all employees and key business partners.
● Ability to interpret and appropriately apply accounting principles and regulations.
● Experience in applying and writing policies and procedures.
● Excellent analytical skills and experience interpreting financial data.
● Ability to manage time and deliver projects in a timely manner in an environment of competing priorities.
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
● Requires strong computer skills with an emphasis on Excel and ERP systems.
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Accounting, Business or related field plus 5 years minimum experience in a similar type of work.
|Experience collaborating with a diverse team of professionals.
Experience with a complex ERP environment.
Working knowledge in financial analysis.
|Salary and Benefits:
The salary for this position begins at $67,500/year; commensurate with experience.
Employee contributions: 6.97% University contributions: 9.27%
Health Insurance Premiums https://www.boisestate.edu/hrs/benefits/medical-prescription-dental-and-vision/
Tuition Fee Waiver: for self, spouse, and dependents https://www.boisestate.edu/hrs/benefits/tuition-fee-waiver-benefit/
Flexible Spending Accounts
Learn more about our benefit options at https://www.boisestate.edu/hrs/benefits/.
|Required Application Materials:
● Cover letter
● 3 professional references