Boise State University, powered by creativity and innovation, stands uniquely positioned in the Northwest as a metropolitan research university of distinction. Learn more about Boise State and the City of Boise at https://www.boisestate.edu/about/
Boise State University is building an inclusive community of faculty and staff whose unique skills, cultural contributions, work history, and perspectives create a rich and rewarding academic experience for our students. Research demonstrates that people thrive when they feel welcome, respected, and inspired. We seek applicants who are committed to helping us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community. Applications from members of historically marginalized groups, including women, BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color), those with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ+ community, those who have served in the military, and members of other underrepresented communities are strongly encouraged.
|Job Summary/Basic Function:
This position has the responsibility and oversight of facilities management and project construction, including maintenance, trades, custodial, and grounds for a division or college building(s). Serves as lead for capital project management and related projects. Supervises staff including student employees. Manages facility services, custodial services, safety and security programs.
60% of Time the Assistant Director – Housekeeping, Sustainability and Energy Management
● Directly manages the supervisory staff responsible for facility services, including housing or event and meeting production, housekeeping services and building projects.
● Develops and approves the operating procedures for housekeeping and facilities.
● Has administrator responsibility for evening and weekend managers
● Responsible for department training, recognition, and performance management, provide feedback and approve evaluations working directly with each department supervisor.
● Coordinates, plans, and supervises building construction projects, equipment replacement, furniture replacement and facility upgrades.
● May oversee inspection of residence halls and apartments, assess furnishing and equipment needs.
35% of the time:
• Creates and implements cleaning procedures and methods related to cleaning public and private Arena access areas
• Constructs and oversees all processes and procedures for equipment and supply needs for scheduled events and facility operations
• Complies with new state and/or federal regulations related to pandemic measure cleaning
• Completes training requirements and gains disinfection expertise to ensure OSHA and pandemic requirements are met. Ensures full and part-time staff have completed similar training.
• Maintains oversight and compliance of the Arena’s GBAC certification - a comprehensive accreditation program that demonstrates the Arena’s correct work practices, procedures and systems and recovery efforts related to outbreaks and pandemics.
• Creates and implements Arena’s biohazard waste response (i.e. blood, bile, etc.)
• Coordinates with consultants to properly evaluate the Arena’s sanitation efforts
• Provides project management for all housekeeping related projects occurring in ExtraMile arena
• Hires, trains, schedules and evaluates all full-time and part-time Housekeeping staff
• Establishes work priorities, organizes work schedules, and determines duty assignment so there is little adverse impact on daily operations
• Oversees team that inspects facility prior to scheduled events to ensure proper cleaning
• Supervises staff to ensure smooth operation of facility and events and resolves concerns; establishes rapport and maintains communication with facility users to ensure all needs are met.
• Oversees team responsibility for observation of facility and equipment to ensure security
• Oversees and logs all equipment maintenance
• Oversees facility use and staffing reports. Monitors facility use to ensure conformance with policies and procedures.
• Ensures all doors and access points are locked and secured when working after-hours
• Recommends changes in policies and procedures and provides interpretation to staff and facility users
• Coordinates with other game/event support staff and coaches to ensure smooth and timely cleaning for BSU and non-BSU events
• Manages team responsible to perform post-event cleanup for events in the arena, including building timelines that allow for the proper and efficient cleaning prior to the next event
• Evaluates effectiveness of cleaning team to meet time constraints for next event
• Oversees daily, weekly, monthly, and annual cleaning tasks and projects
• Manages housekeeping department during events to effectively resolve issues that arise during events including; spills, maintaining inventory of paper toiletry supplies, supply tours with towels, soap, etc.
• Communicates and coordinates with University Facilities, Operations & Maintenance as necessary
• Manages the housekeeping requirements of the facility through work orders, preventative maintenance requirements, emergency calls, etc.
• Manages the inventory, ensuring enough supplies for day-to-day and event needs.
• Evaluates equipment and initiates repairs or replacement as necessary
• Coordinates warranty repairs of housekeeping equipment (scrubbers, vacuums, etc.)
Sustainability and Energy Management
• Constructs & oversees training and supervision of staff and volunteers involved with recycling. Ensures that recycling items are sorted into the correct bins/dumpsters.
• Oversees team that monitors inventory of waste/recycling receptacles, placement, signage, and cleanliness
• Oversees team that monitors electricity usage/efficiency - reminders for staff to turn off lights in unused areas, schedules "dark days" where lighting usage can be minimized, matches exterior lighting schedules with seasonal changes, etc.
• Creates cost analysis of switching to different equipment and inventory throughout the building (i.e. bulbs, LED lighting, low-flush urinals and toilets, etc.)
• Coordinates purchasing and installation of sustainability/efficiency equipment and supplies
• Explores energy saving and waste reducing alternatives through research, cost analysis, meetings, etc.
• Creates written plans for waste management and sustainability that coincide with the University's policies and mission.
• Collaborates with University departments on sustainability initiatives
• Works with and provides technical support to mechanical and electrical design engineers on new and refurbishment projects regarding sustainability, energy and water conservation
• Ensures accurate records are maintained and energy monitoring data is collected regularly
Budget and Planning
• Oversees the housekeeping budget & all economic aspects or department
• Writes and reviews plans and specifications
• Prepares the annual budget for the housekeeping department
• Analyzes data and reports generated by Business Director to ensure proper execution of services, distribution of departmental reports and accuracy
• Reviews work to ensure compliance with standards, values and missions.
o ExtraMile Arena Mission – Bringing world-class creativity, competition and celebration to life
o ExtraMile Arena Vision – ExtraMile Arena aspires to be an iconic venue thriving in the heart of the vibrant Boise metropolitan area. Operated by passionate venue professionals guided by a principled compass of safety, servant leadership, respectful relationships and indomitable spirit, ExtraMile Arena will be renowned for world class event experiences.
o ExtraMile Arena Values:
Mutually Successful Outcomes
|Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
● Knowledge of group dynamics, conflict resolution skills necessary for training, problem solving, etc.
● Knowledge of accounting and finance necessary to develop and interpret department reports.
● Experience in managing budgets, estimate project or equipment costs.
● Ability to manage large multi-use facilities or housing spaces
● Experience supervising, hiring, training, scheduling, progressive discipline, and evaluating multiple staff and/or teams of staff
● Knowledge of facilities maintenance and custodial needs and services