Boise State University, powered by creativity and innovation, stands uniquely positioned in the Northwest as a metropolitan research university of distinction. Learn more about Boise State and the City of Boise at https://www.boisestate.edu/about/
Boise State University is building an inclusive community of faculty and staff whose unique skills, cultural contributions, work history, and perspectives create a rich and rewarding academic experience for our students. Research demonstrates that people thrive when they feel welcome, respected, and inspired. We seek applicants who are committed to helping us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community. Applications from members of historically marginalized groups, including women, BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color), those with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ+ community, those who have served in the military, and members of other underrepresented communities are strongly encouraged.
|Job Summary/Basic Function:
To direct staff engaged in campus and special event security; perform related work.
Boise State University’s Department of Public Safety is responsible for more than ”people safety.” In addition to university Security, our team includes the university's Emergency Management Department, Transportation (Shuttle buses and the Cycle Learning Center) and Parking, and Integrated Security Technology. Department of Public Safety employees are responsible for the safety of everyone on campus through a variety of programs. We believe in supporting our team members in all roles of their life. We offer flexible scheduling, competitive pay rates, meaningful and impactful work, and healthy teams. Public Safety will encourage you to take time doing what is most important to you, whether that is spending time with family, traveling, or increasing your education. We want the best employees. If you are a high performer who's gotten lost at other organizations who just don't seem to get it, come meet us. We are different and always seeking ways to improve. Apply and let us prove it!
Provides immediate supervision to a unit or group of operational or technical employees. A portion of time may be spent performing individual tasks related to the unit; however, supervisory activities must constitute a primary part of the job. Supervises unit operations to ensure compliance with departmental or campus policies, procedures, and defined internal controls. Ensures accountability and stewardship of campus resources (operational, financial, and human) in compliance with departmental standards and procedures.
● Coordinate the university's event security program.
● Plans and organizes event security staffing, equipment, and facilities requirements.
● In advance of an event, this position would coordinate all pre-event setup operations including event security screening equipment, tamis barriers, prohibited item signage, tents, and lighting equipment for university events including athletic events, concerts, and campus events.
● Support the Event Security Operations chain of command in the development of plans and approaches to various events posted on campus, utilizing a multi-disciplinary strategy that brings together all pertinent stakeholders to collaborate on developing policies, procedures, and systems to ensure safety of events.
● Meets with campus event organizers to establish schedules and determine security needs.
● Onsite supervision of 3rd party contracted security staff for pre-event setup and post-event takedown operations.
● Supervise the storage, upkeep, repair, and charging of gate screening equipment.
● Coordinates with the Event Security Operations Manager on the development of pre-event security training for campus staff, 3rd party contracted staff and Federal, state, and local public safety personnel.
● Ensures fiscal responsibility by coordinating purchases and expenditures with the Event Security Operations Manager.
● Review event data to include; gate security screening output, game entry logs, and ability to create and communicate information on statistical reports.
● Maintain accurate inventory of event security equipment to include; gate screening equipment, tamis barriers, prohibited item signage, and other equipment.
● Perform tasks as required of a Senior Security Officer when operational needs exist to backfill schedules and ensure adequate security coverage of the campus and events.
|Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
● Ability to analyze information and evaluate results to choose the best solution and solve problems
● Ability to understand, remember, communicate and apply verbal and/or written instructions or other information.
● Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote an effective operation.
● Ability to understand complex problems and to collaborate and explore alternative solutions.
● Ability to make decisions that have a significant impact on the immediate work unit and monitor impact outside the immediate work unit.
● Ability to make decisions which have significant impact on the department’s credibility, operations, and services.
● Ability to assist with the development, implementation, and facilitation of event security training.
● Good knowledge of the National Incident Management System and Incident Command System principles and concepts.
● Certified in First Aid/CPR/AED or ability to become certified.
Good knowledge of:
- Self-defense measures
- First aid
- Security problems and safety hazards as they relate to a large complex of buildings and grounds.
Some knowledge of: supervisory practices.
- Performing investigations incidental to security activities.
- Training others in security procedures.
- Completing investigative reports.
- Making oral presentations.
|● Experience in Event Security operations in a college or university setting.
● Two (2) years of experience supervising others in a security-related field.
● Experience in Security and Event Security Program development and implementation.
● At least three years of experience in Event Security operations.
|Salary and Benefits:
Salary of $20/per hour, commensurate with experience. Boise State University is committed to offering a benefits package that provides health and financial protection plans as well as resources to promote health and well-being. Our program provides flexibility so you can choose the benefits that are right for you and your family. Learn more about our benefit options at https://www.boisestate.edu/hrs/benefits/.
|Required Application Materials:
To be considered for the position, please submit the following material:
● Resume with employment history (including dates of employment)
● Cover Letter indicating your interest and qualifications for the position
● 3 Professional References