Teaching and Learning Librarian
Albertsons Library, Boise State University
Albertsons Library invites applications and nominations for a Teaching and Learning Librarian. We seek an innovative and creative teacher passionate about undergraduate learning and student success to join our Instruction and Research Services Unit. In collaboration with the unit, and in partnership with our Multimedia Development and User Experience Librarian and our Library Academic Programs Coordinator, this librarian will design and deliver instruction, programming, and other services for first-year, transfer, and undergraduate students needing academic assistance. In addition to this work with students, this librarian will serve on the Research and Critical Inquiry Microcourse Team, promote student success efforts within the Library, participate in the delivery of the unit’s reference services, and help shape library-wide teaching and learning efforts as a member of the Library Instruction Team.
Albertsons Library provides high-quality, relevant information and services to Boise State students, faculty, staff, and the community. Conveniently located in the center of campus, we serve as a vibrant, nurturing hub where people and diverse ideas flourish. The Library offers access to electronic and physical collections, technology, creative making spaces, archival materials and university history, and both quiet and collaborative study spaces. Skilled staff and librarians provide instruction and research assistance in person, virtually, and in group settings. We support teaching, learning, and research at Boise State University by facilitating the use of knowledge, information, and services.
The Library’s Instruction and Research Services Unit values education, research and learning. We seek to guide our community through the complex 21st-century information landscape. To accomplish this goal, the unit teaches in a variety of settings and formats. Since 2018 the unit has delivered information literacy instruction to first-year and early undergraduate students through an asynchronous online Research and Critical Inquiry Microcourse embedded in Boise State’s initial University Foundations course. Over 3,000 students complete this Canvas course each year to earn their “I Am a Researcher” badge. Librarians reinforce and build on the skills taught in the Microcourse as they teach information literacy within the disciplines, in the Library’s ASK (Access Service Knowledge) unified service area, and in one-on-one consultations.
- Champion the Library's information literacy and outreach efforts for first-year, transfer, and undergraduate students needing academic assistance.
- Manage and assess student learning in the unit’s Canvas Research and Critical Inquiry Microcourse in collaboration with the Microcourse Team.
- Collaborate with University Foundations, the First Year Experiences Program Director (COAS), Albertsons Library units, and other campus departments to facilitate student success and retention.
- Participate in team-based instructional design, delivery, assessment, and research services.
- Provide user support at the Library’s ASK unified service area and through individual consultations both in-person and online.
- Create online instructional materials using a variety of systems and tools to support a wide array of learners.
- Serve on the Library’s Instruction Team and other Library and University committees as needed.
- Pursue research and scholarship activities in accordance with Albertsons Library and Boise State University’s Tenure and Promotion Guidelines.
- Actively participate in efforts to address and improve library and campus practices that remove barriers to learning, prevent discrimination, and foster an environment that counters injustice in all forms.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Good professional oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to transition quickly and effectively between face-to-face and online environments.
- Demonstrated ability to initiate, manage, and complete projects independently and collaboratively.
- Ability to engage positively with highly diverse peoples regarding many facets of identity, including but not limited to gender, ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation, ability, income, geographic location, and religion.
- American Library Association’s accredited master’s degree or a comparable graduate degree from a non-U.S. university, to be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- Demonstrated knowledge of or training in academic library instruction and pedagogy.
- Experience with Canvas or another learning management system.
- Knowledge of best practices in delivering service to first-year students and those needing academic assistance.
- Experience designing instruction in a university setting or extensive coursework in instructional design.
- Interest in current and emerging technologies that support in-person and online teaching and learning.
Required Application Materials: Please submit:
- Cover letter indicating your interests and qualifications for this position
- CV that includes employment history (including dates of employment)
- Philosophy of teaching statement
- Provide three professional references with contact information.
The search will remain open until the position is filled. The review of applications will begin on June 13, 2023.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary commensurate with experience. Boise State University is committed to offering a benefits package that provides health and financial protection plans as well as resources to promote health and well-being. Our program provides flexibility so you can choose the benefits that are right for you and your family.
About Boise State
Boise State University, powered by creativity and innovation, stands uniquely positioned in the Northwest as a metropolitan research university of distinction. Learn more about faculty careers at Boise State and the City of Boise.
Boise State University is building an inclusive community of faculty and staff whose unique skills, cultural contributions, work history, and perspectives create a rich and rewarding academic experience for our students. We seek applicants who are committed to helping us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community.