Boise State University, powered by creativity and innovation, stands uniquely positioned in the Northwest as a metropolitan research university of distinction. Learn more about Boise State and the City of Boise at https://www.boisestate.edu/about/
Boise State University is building an inclusive community of faculty and staff whose unique skills, cultural contributions, work history, and perspectives create a rich and rewarding academic experience for our students. Research demonstrates that people thrive when they feel welcome, respected, and inspired. We seek applicants who are committed to helping us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community. Applications from members of historically marginalized groups, including women, BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color), those with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ+ community, those who have served in the military, and members of other underrepresented communities are strongly encouraged.
|Job Summary/Basic Function:
The Laboratory Safety Specialist reports to the Laboratory Safety and Design Manager and works directly with Boise State University’s Colleges in lab safety support. This will be an “embedded” position within the colleges and may receive daily input and direction from the college dean or designee.
The Environmental Health, Safety, and Sustainability Office supports the mission of the university by promoting a safe and healthy environment where people can learn, work, conduct research and participate in creative activities.
Fully competent and productive professional contributor who applies acquired job skills, policies, and procedures to complete substantive assignments/projects/tasks of moderate scope and complexity. Works independently with general supervision; exercises judgment within defined guidelines and practices to determine appropriate action. May provide guidance and assistance to entry-level professionals and/or support employees.
60% of the time the Laboratory Safety Specialist must:
● Responsible for recommending or approving corrective actions, identifying radiation safety problems, initiating action, and ensuring compliance with regulations.
● Decisions are made routinely with respect to the interpretation and application of various federal, state, and local regulations to University facilities and operations.
● Decisions are made regarding University operations in the interest of safety and health.
● Technical Assistance and training others.
35% of the time the Laboratory Safety Specialist must:
● Provide support for the EHSS Central Store by ordering and receiving chemicals, updating the chemical inventory system, updating safety data sheets, etc.
● Supervise students and collaborate with other lab safety support staff that work in the store and laboratories.
● Assist the Hazardous Waste Officer to ensure compliance with federal regulations.
● Interact with faculty, staff, and students working with or near hazardous materials on a regular basis to offer support.
5% of the time the Laboratory Safety Specialist must:
● Perform other duties as assigned.
|Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
● Ability to work effectively with a team and independently with minimum supervision and to
communicate effectively orally and in writing. Excellent interpersonal and organizational
● Knowledge of chemical, biological and radiological handling, storage and safety procedures.
● Ability to conduct industrial hygiene surveys and prepare clear and concise technical reports.
● The ability to interpret, implement and comply with federal, state and local regulations and
interact with agencies.
Bachelor’s Degree and 2 years experience or equivalent
|Salary and Benefits:
The salary range for this position is $50,502.40 - $54,350.40. Boise State University is committed to offering a benefits package that provides health and financial protection plans as well as resources to promote health and well-being. Our program provides flexibility so you can choose the benefits that are right for you and your family. Learn more about our benefit options at https://www.boisestate.edu/hrs/benefits/.
|Required Application Materials:
Please include a cover letter and a resume when applying.
The Committee will start interviewing the first week of August.