Boise State University, powered by creativity and innovation, stands uniquely positioned in the Northwest as a metropolitan research university of distinction. Learn more about Boise State and the City of Boise at https://www.boisestate.edu/about/
Boise State University is building an inclusive community of faculty and staff whose unique skills, cultural contributions, work history, and perspectives create a rich and rewarding academic experience for our students. Research demonstrates that people thrive when they feel welcome, respected, and inspired. We seek applicants who are committed to helping us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community. Applications from members of historically marginalized groups, including women, BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color), those with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ+ community, those who have served in the military, and members of other underrepresented communities are strongly encouraged.
|Job Summary/Basic Function:
To perform heavy-duty cleaning and maintenance work in an assigned area and coordinate the work of other custodians; perform related work.
Housing and Residence Life manages approximately 750,000 square feet of residential living space serving over 2500 students at any given time. Our Facilities department is Customer Service focused with the goal to provide a safe and welcoming environment for our students to live, learn, and prosper in.
Applies basic skills while developing some specialized skills in procedures, operations, techniques, tools, materials, and/or equipment appropriate to area of specialization; performs routine and/or repetitive tasks; limited decision making required; generally works under close supervision; has no or limited experience; work is performed from within specific limits of established procedures and/or defined instructions.
60% of Time the Custodian Leadworker must:
- Explains priorities for completion of projects; resolves problems associated with staff assignments; schedules jobs to be accomplished; ensures safe working conditions for clients and staff; trains in proper and safe way to perform custodial services and operate/maintain equipment; reviews work to insure compliance with standards; prepares performance evaluations; keeps records of employees hours worked; inventories supplies and materials; insures room availability and event schedules are followed.
- Performs and leads others in heavy-duty cleaning; cleans, sanitizes, and polishes fixtures; dusts, mops, waxes, shampoos furniture, woodwork, walls, windows, and glass; removes waste and debris; selects products and cleaning compounds; measures and mixes compounds, disinfectants, and sanitizing agents and applies them according to procedures or manufacturers' specifications; orders supplies for custodial closets; sweeps, strips, seals, and waxes floors; sets up tables, chairs, and similar items for events; removes adhesives, tiles and carpet; refinishes floors and prepares them for recarpeting or special flooring; moves furniture, appliances, and other heavy items; sets up and climbs ladders and scaffolding; shovels snow; reports building maintenance needs; performs a variety of duties to insure facility operation including: setting-up bleachers, portable flooring, tables, and chairs for special events; providing direction and answering basic questions regarding events for patrons; and setting-up and preparing audio/visual equipment and related aids for use.
- Operates scrubbing, buffing, shampooing, vacuuming, and wet/dry pickup machines; performs routine and preventive maintenance on cleaning equipment; finishes floors using sanders, strippers, and final finishers; uses snow blowers, hysters, airlift platforms, dollies, and carts; replaces belts, brushes, and bearings in power equipment; insures that floor and building area is secured including doors locked and lights and appliances off; reports fire hazards, other emergencies.
35% of the time the Custodian Leadworker must:
- Ensure that equipment is operable and in good working condition. Meet with vendors to review new tools and equipment, ensure that chemical stations are safe and the Safety Data Sheets and bottle labels are up to date and available in area where chemicals are stored. Ensure that proper PPE is being donned during specific tasks, and that any training surrounding the use of PPE, Motorized Equipment, or Chemicals is provided.
- The creation, acceptance, and distribution of Work orders is done daily to ensure proper work flow and priorities are adhered to. Weekly reporting to the Custodial Superintendent on employee performance, needed supply orders, staffing needs, recognition, holiday coverage and other miscellaneous administrative tasks as directed.
5% Other Duties as Assigned.
|Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services
- Ability to inspect equipment, structures, or materials to identify cause of errors or other problems
- Ability to monitor building premises to ensure occupant of visitor safety
Good knowledge of: the methods, materials, and equipment used in heavy-duty custodial work including related safety practices; cleaning agents and related products and their possible reactions.
Some knowledge of: supervisory practices; sanitation and infection control; training methods used in custodial work.
Experience: operating industrial-type high-speed cleaning equipment; performing minor maintenance on custodial equipment; using hand tools to repair cleaning equipment; explaining the use and maintenance of custodial equipment.
|One year of some type of lead experience handling five or more employees (does not need to be as a custodial lead)
Leadership training or certification is a plus
Three years of performing custodial or cleaning services in a commercial setting.
Basic computer skills: Email, general correspondence, spreadsheet knowledge a plus.
|Salary and Benefits:
Hourly rate for this position is $16.50 per hour. Boise State University is committed to offering a benefits package that provides health and financial protection plans as well as resources to promote health and well-being. Our program provides flexibility so you can choose the benefits that are right for you and your family. Learn more about our benefit options at https://www.boisestate.edu/hrs/benefits/.
- Public Employee Retirement System of Idaho:
- Employee contributions: 7.16% University contributions: 11.94%
- Tuition Fee Waiver: for self, spouse, and dependents
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Life Insurance
- Time Off
- Sick Leave
- Vacation Leave
- Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
|Required Application Materials:
- Cover Letter
- Three Professional References.