The Department of Respiratory Care, in the College of Health Sciences at Boise State University, invites applications for an 11-month, tenure-track, Assistant or Associate rank faculty member. This Boise-based position will teach primarily in the entry-to-practice Baccalaureate of Respiratory Care (BSRC) program and be challenged with reestablishing a student-centered research trajectory at the undergraduate level focused on clinically relevant areas, as well as potential responsibilities in the online Master of Science in Respiratory Care (MSRC) program.
As such, the faculty will be a content expert for select courses within both programs and will be responsible for both synchronous and asynchronous delivery of didactic and/or laboratory content in face-to-face, hybrid, and/or online settings. The rank offered will be commensurate with the candidate's background and level of experience. Tenure-track individuals will adhere to the tenure-eligibility requirements of the University. The start date for this position will be Summer or Fall 2023.
The primary duties and responsibilities are teaching students in face-to-face, laboratory, hybrid, and/or online academic settings, advising both undergraduate and graduate-level students on academic progress, supervising student research projects, and engaging in professionally-related service. Personal research requirements will vary by the candidate and as such, tenure-track faculty are allocated a variable percentage of annual workload requirements toward scholarly activity. The essential duties and responsibilities of faculty are assigned by the program director in coordination with and final approval by the department chair.
The Department of Respiratory Care offers three programs accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC). At the undergraduate level, the department is home to an Entry-Level BSRC Program that qualifies students for the credential-earning examinations of the National Board for Respiratory Care. The department also offers an online RRT to Bachelor of Science Degree Advancement Program (DAP) for RRTs who have earned an Associate’s Degree from a regionally accredited institution. At the graduate level, the department offers an online MSRC Degree Program for RRTs who hold a valid credential and a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution. The department is housed in the School of Allied Health Sciences, which also houses programs in Kinesiology, Radiologic Sciences, and Genetic Counseling. The School of Allied Health Sciences is one of four schools in the College of Health Sciences that also includes the Schools of Nursing, Social Work, and Public & Population Health.
Boise State University, powered by creativity and innovation, stands uniquely positioned in the Northwest as a metropolitan research university of distinction. Learn more about Boise State and the City of Boise at https://www.boisestate.edu/about/boise-and-beyond/.
Boise State University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Boise State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply. We are a welcoming campus that supports diversity and inclusion.
Responsibilities of the Position:
- Demonstrate teaching effectiveness: utilize best practices and a professional commitment to teaching.
- Make substantial and innovative teaching and research contributions to the programs served.
- Develop and maintain assigned courses using appropriate educational tools and the LMS (Canvas).
- Help undergraduate and graduate students formulate research projects, establish methodologies, discuss results, and prepare contributions for dissemination, ensuring that students’ work meets the standards of the University and the discipline.
- Pursue scholarly activity via an established research agenda that supports the Departmental mission, vision, and values.
- Provide students with constructive, encouraging, timely, and corrective feedback.
- Be professional, optimistic, encouraging, and utilize a coaching manner in all interactions.
- Be accessible to students and respond promptly to student questions.
- Serve as a Content Expert in specific courses and/or areas of expertise.
- Provide input into curriculum development and implementation of courses related to the BSRC and MSRC curricula.
- Provide input on BSRC and MSRC Program student learning needs to the Program Directors, the Department Chair, and the rest of the Program Team, as appropriate.
- Participate in ongoing professional development in areas of teaching, content specialty, and certifications, as appropriate.
- Be accessible consistently throughout the week to facilitate communication, accessibility, and relationship building with the faculty, staff, and students as allowed and determined by the Program Directors and/or Department Chair.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships and timely communication with the Program Directors, the Department Chair, and the rest of the faculty, staff, students, and community stakeholders.
- Work collectively to build and maintain a community that celebrates and values diversity and treats all stakeholders with dignity and respect.
- Assist with student recruitment, interviews, and academic advising.
- Participate in faculty meetings, other department, school, college, and university virtual meetings, and other campus events as able, and facilitate meetings on campus, as requested by the Program Directors and/or Department Chair.
- Apply appropriate University, College, School, Department, and Program policies and regulations.
- Demonstrate excellent organizational and time management skills with attention to meeting deadlines
- Doctoral Degree, or ABD, in a related field
- Holds valid Registered Respiratory Therapist credential
- Licensed as a Registered Respiratory Therapist in the state of Idaho or be eligible to obtain such licensure
- At least three years of teaching experience in Respiratory Care
- At least three years of online teaching experience at the undergraduate and /or graduate level
- Proficiency in the development of learning objectives, assessment measures, and innovative curriculum design in a variety of educational environments.
- Experience supervising and mentoring student research.
- Actively published in peer-reviewed source(s) on a consistent basis.
- Experience with grant writing and extramural funding.
- At least one (1) NBRC (or other healthcare-related) specialty credential/or certificate.
- At least 5 years of recent clinical experience in Respiratory Care.
Salary & Benefits:
The salary range for this position is between $78,000-$85,000. Salary will be commensurate with experience. Boise State University is committed to offering a benefits package that provides health and financial protection plans as well as resources to promote health and well-being. Our program provides flexibility so you can choose the benefits that are right for you and your family. Learn more about our benefit options at https://hrs.boisestate.edu/benefits/.
Applications must include the following documents:
- A curriculum vitae/resume to include contact information for at least three professional references;
- Most recent peer-reviewed publication;
- An example of a recently developed syllabus and course schedule for at least one undergraduate and/or graduate course;
- A cover letter that includes a statement of interest as well as brief descriptions of teaching, research, and service philosophies.
- Sample of teaching evaluations demonstrating teaching effectiveness if available (may combine document with example syllabus if for the same course).
The application will close: January 6, 2022
Please send questions related to the position to: firstname.lastname@example.org