Boise State University, powered by creativity and innovation, stands uniquely positioned in the Northwest as a metropolitan research university of distinction. Learn more about Boise State and the City of Boise at https://www.boisestate.edu/about/
Boise State University is building an inclusive community of faculty and staff whose unique skills, cultural contributions, work history, and perspectives create a rich and rewarding academic experience for our students. Research demonstrates that people thrive when they feel welcome, respected, and inspired. We seek applicants who are committed to helping us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community. Applications from members of historically marginalized groups, including women, BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color), those with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ+ community, those who have served in the military, and members of other underrepresented communities are strongly encouraged.
|Job Summary/Basic Function:
To manage custodial staff and operations for a large multi facility campus; perform related work.
Do you want to love where you work? Imagine watching the crowd sing at the top of their lungs, cheering on the winning team or celebrating a graduate's successes. YOU can help make those memories come to life!
Provides immediate supervision to a unit or group of operational or technical employees. A portion of time may be spent performing individual tasks related to the unit; however, supervisory activities must constitute a primary part of the job. Supervises unit operations to ensure compliance with departmental or campus policies, procedures, and defined internal controls. Ensures accountability and stewardship of campus resources (operational, financial, and human) in compliance with departmental standards and procedures.
60% of Time the Custodian Superintendent, University must:
- This position directs a large permanent staff through subordinate supervisors in a large campus complex that includes vocational, academic, administrative, athletic, and research facilities.
- Formulates long-range plans for custodial services and operations; develops and implements work standards, priorities, staffing levels, and cleaning techniques for custodial services; directs custodial operations; develops and monitors budget; may develop specifications and implement contracts for carpeting and window covering installation, repair, and replacement; coordinates solicitation, review, and award of bids; plans and schedules cleaning of facilities and preparation of rooms for meetings and events; writes equipment specifications; insures custodial supplies meet established standards; prepares management and incident reports; conducts service needs assessment surveys and analyzes results; evaluates and monitors use and testing of new products and techniques.
- Interviews and hires staff and evaluates performance; orients new employees; conducts safety meetings, accident investigations, training classes, and related sessions to improve services and reduce accidents; negotiates resolutions of complaints regarding services and staff; conducts staff meetings.
35% of Time the Custodian Superintendent must:
- Supervise and monitor Custodian Leadworker, part-time custodians, and event custodians
- Perform scheduling, supervising, and event planning tasks
- Schedules and communicates with part-time Housekeeping staff
- Manages VenueOps and WhenToWork for Housekeeping department
- As part of the Housekeeping Leadership Pool, acts as the Housekeeping Lead/Housekeeping Manager on Duty during events. These duties will be assigned on a rotating basis between the Custodian Leadworker, Custodian Superintendent, and Assistant Director of Environmental Services
- In conjunction with the Assistant Director of Environmental Services, establishes work priorities, organizes work schedules, and determines duty assignment so there is little adverse impact on daily operations
- For events assigned, oversees team that inspects facility prior to scheduled events to ensure proper cleaning
- Provide, maintain, and evaluate up-to-date tools, equipment, and instructional materials for cleaning, disinfection, and mitigation of the transmission of infectious disease
- Review and reorder routine custodial supplies and inventory housekeeping & event equipment
- Responsible for ensuring facility and door control security, done by the Custodian Leadworker or delegate
- Provide regular observation and feedback for all cleaning & disinfecting tasks
- Identify department needs related to improving efficiency and cleanliness
- Schedule & manage projects related to facility cleaning and maintenance
- Regularly review & update day/night shift cleaning schedules to accommodate changes to activity and occupancy
- Follow applicable CDC, Federal, State, Local, and Industry guidelines
- Maintain and update safety training records and safety data sheets to ensure safety compliance & comprehension
- Document and maintain a minimum inventory of custodial supplies
- Manage facility lockdown procedures and work order requests
- Monitor facility use to ensure compliance with policies and procedures
- Actively maintain, update, and document changes to standard operating procedures
- This position will be trained in their immediate supervisor’s fundamental duties and be required to provide backup coverage if neededReviews work to ensure compliance with standards, values and missions.
○ ExtraMile Arena Mission – Bringing world-class creativity, competition and celebration to life
○ ExtraMile Arena Vision – ExtraMile Arena aspires to be an iconic venue thriving in the heart of the vibrant Boise metropolitan area. Operated by passionate venue professionals guided by a principled compass of safety, servant leadership, respectful relationships and indomitable spirit, ExtraMile Arena will be renowned for world class event experiences.
○ ExtraMile Arena Values:
■ Servant Leadership
■ Respectful Relationships
■ Indomitable Spirit
■ Service Excellence
■ Mutually Successful Outcomes
5% of Time the Custodian Superintendent
- Perform other duties as assigned
|Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
● Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. this includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
● Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, leadership technique, and coordination of people and resources
● Ability to manage one’s own time and the time of others
Considerable knowledge of: common practices, tools, equipment, and materials used in custodial work; custodial safety practices; sanitation and infection control.
Experience: managing a large custodial staff and related operations and services; directing the ordering and storage of custodial supplies; developing cost estimates; arbitrating service disputes and negotiating resolutions; conducting group meetings; maintaining records and preparing reports; developing, implementing, and conducting custodial training programs.
|Salary and Benefits:
$24/hour. Boise State University is committed to offering a benefits package that provides health and financial protection plans as well as resources to promote health and well-being. Our program provides flexibility so you can choose the benefits that are right for you and your family. Learn more about our benefit options at https://www.boisestate.edu/hrs/benefits/.
|Required Application Materials:
Resume and Cover Letter