||Boise State University, powered by creativity and innovation, stands uniquely positioned in the Northwest as a metropolitan research university of distinction. Learn more about Boise State and the City of Boise at https://www.boisestate.edu/about/boise-and-beyond/. Boise State University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Boise State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply. We are a welcoming campus that supports diversity and inclusion.
|Job Summary/Basic Function:
To perform specialized and routine standardized chemical and biological laboratory examinations and procedures; perform related work.
Applies skills and job knowledge in area of specialization; may adapt procedures, operations, techniques, tools, materials, and/or equipment to meet needs of area of specialization; may work on non-routine tasks; resolves issues/makes working decisions within area of specialization or responsibility with minimal supervision.
60% of Time the Laboratory Technician must:
● This is the entry and full working technician level serving as assistant to professional staff performing complex testing and related analyses. They work independently on laboratory examinations and projects, and they may supervise or provide work direction for laboratory assistants or work-study students.
● Determines priorities, prepares materials for testing, and performs specialized or routine standardized tests on human, animal, and/or environmental specimens. Operates, maintains, calibrates, and sterilizes laboratory equipment and sterilizes and cleans glassware and work areas, disposing of potential pathogenic and biohazardous materials. Reads, records, and files reports and correspondence, and enters data and maintains specimen logs, test results, and supplies used. Responds to inquiries regarding general laboratory procedures and assures proper labeling and paper work for the receipt and shipping of specimens. Distributes, maintains, and orders laboratory supplies.
35% of the time:
● Assist with processing of specimens.
● Assist with Next-Generation Sequencing (NGS) pipeline development.
● Conduct diagnostic analysis of RT-PCR tests.
● Conduct waste water testing to identify pockets of infections.
● Identify and replenish testing supplies as necessary.
● Monitor, operate, and troubleshoot instrumentation to ensure proper functionality.
● Perform routine and complex clinical testing according to CLIA standards.
● Prepare, test, and evaluate reagents and/or controls.
● Perform and document preventive maintenance and quality control procedures.
● Report accurate and timely test results in order to deliver quality patient care.
5% of the time:
Other duties as assigned.
|Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Performance of quality control tests in the lab
- Assist with testing and calibrating lab equipment in preparation for specific tasks
- Analyze data and prepare reports for patients
- Follow all policies and procedures to ensure integrity and quality control
- Troubleshoot assay problems to find appropriate solutions
- Excellent attention to detail
Good knowledge of: laboratory terminology, equipment, materials, and procedures, and the fundamental laboratory methods relating to chemistry or biology.
Experience: performing standardized laboratory tests according to prescribed procedures; and calculating and recording test results; maintaining a clean, sterile, and safe laboratory environment.
|● Must have a Bachelor’s of Science (B.S.) in biology or a biomedical-related field such as biophysics, chemistry, biomedical engineering, material science, engineering, or appropriate health sciences. A degree in ecology would not meet the position requirements at this time.
● Good laboratory skills and understanding of pipetting and PCR required.
● Proficiency with coding or a willingness to learn
● Familiarity with laboratory information systems or electronic medical record systems.
● High level of attention to detail; strong communication and organizational skills.
● Flexibility to work overtime and additional shifts, depending on business needs.
|Salary and Benefits:
Salary $15.00/hr; commensurate with experience. Boise State University is committed to offering a benefits package that provides health and financial protection plans as well as resources to promote health and well-being. Our program provides flexibility so you can choose the benefits that are right for you and your family. Learn more about our benefit options at https://www.boisestate.edu/hrs/benefits/.
|Required Application Materials:
Cover letter and resume.
Review of applications will begin immediately.