||Boise State University, powered by creativity and innovation, stands uniquely positioned in the Northwest as a metropolitan research university of distinction. Learn more about Boise State and the City of Boise at https://www.boisestate.edu/about/boise-and-beyond/. Boise State University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Boise State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply. We are a welcoming campus that supports diversity and inclusion.
|Job Summary/Basic Function:
Analyzes complex financial reports and records and prepares tax returns and work papers along with providing recommendations for changes and process improvements. Responsible for overseeing several tax reporting functions at the University. Facilitates compliance with state, federal, and other tax regime regulations and policies.
University Financial Services (UFS) is a unit within the Division of Finance and Administration. You will be joining an intentionally built culture with a strategic focus. The team follows the Enterprise Operating System (EOS) to drive results. All members of UFS are involved.
UFS's value words are:
Team Oriented: understands the dynamics of the team; works cohesively and inclusively to accomplish a common goal.
Gets Things Done: prioritizes tasks and achieves the end goal.
Continuous Improvement: intentional commitment to making things better every day.
Ethical: honesty and integrity guides personal and professional behavior and judgment.
Adaptable: adjusts to change, being flexible, versatile, and cooperative.
Problem Solver: identifies and understands the interrelated components of an issue and seeks to implement solutions.
Respect and Inclusivity: demonstrates care, concern, consideration for the perspective, needs, and feelings of others.
Recognized subject matter expert who knows how to apply theory and put it into practice with an in-depth understanding of the professional field with limited oversight from managers. Independently performs the full range of responsibilities within the function; requires deep job knowledge of area typically obtained through higher education combined with experience. Manages large projects or processes and problems faced are difficult and often complex; analyzes problems/issues of diverse scope and determines solutions. May manage programs that include formulating strategies and administering policies, processes, and resources; functions with a high degree of autonomy. Influences others regarding policies, practices, and procedures.
60% of the time the Tax Accountant Senior must:
- Combines excellent analytical skills with a thorough knowledge of accounting principles to analyze financial reports and forecasts. Experience collaborating and/or managing a team of accountants and junior accountants.
- Look for trends and variances to ensure acceptable business practices and procedures have been followed for compliance with Federal and State laws. With the results of the research/analysis, conclusions must be drawn and communicated to the appropriate person/department. This can result in changes to a process or system for compliance reasons.
- May prepare and submit federal and state biweekly, monthly, quarterly, and year-end tax reports. Make tax deposits weekly, monthly, and quarterly for the federal and state taxes.
- Responsible for auditing finance records.
- May supervise or lead. Coordinate the development and implementation of policies and procedures for internal controls and business affairs to achieve the overall goals of the department.
35% of the time the Tax Accountant Senior must:
- Research tax regulations, provide recommendations for changes, verify adequate supporting documentation is on file to support tax return calculations.
- Responsible for reviewing finance and payroll records.
- Responsible for reviewing tax liability reconciliations and transactions.
- Recommends, creates, and updates policies and procedures as needed.
- Assists in the monthly, quarterly and fiscal year-end process as needed including but not limited to preparation of work papers, reconciliations and account analysis.
- Assists in providing training and conducting meetings throughout the University to disseminate information and improve compliance and processes.
- Review requests for independent contractors within thresholds.
- Cross-train and backup other accountants on tax reporting tasks.
5% duties as assigned.
Hybrid options are available with this opportunity!
|Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Ability to lead a team of professional staff, serve as an internal resource and consultant, and work collaboratively with all employees and key business partners.
- Ability to interpret and appropriately apply accounting principles and regulations.
- Experience in applying and writing policies and procedures.
- Excellent analytical skills and experience interpreting financial data.
- Ability to manage time and deliver projects in a timely manner in an environment of competing priorities.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Requires strong computer skills with an emphasis on Excel.
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Accounting, Business or related field plus 5 years minimum experience in a similar type of work.
- Two to five years of experience in tax reporting with an emphasis in UBIT, corporate, sales tax, nonresident alien, and employment tax. Experience researching complex tax regulations.
- Ability to interpret and apply federal and state tax regulations.
- Experience preparing 990-T, 1042 & 1042-S, 1099, and sales tax returns.
- Experience collaborating with a team of accountants and junior accountants.
- ERP reporting experience.
- Working knowledge in financial analysis.
|Salary and Benefits:
Salary starts at $65,000 commensurate with experience. Boise State University is committed to offering a benefits package that provides health and financial protection plans as well as resources to promote health and well-being. Our program provides flexibility so you can choose the benefits that are right for you and your family. Learn more about our benefit options at https://www.boisestate.edu/hrs/benefits/.
|Required Application Materials:
Submission review will begin the week of September 20th