||Boise State University, powered by creativity and innovation, stands uniquely positioned in the Northwest as a metropolitan research university of distinction. Learn more about Boise State and the City of Boise at https://www.boisestate.edu/about/boise-and-beyond/. Boise State University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Boise State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply. We are a welcoming campus that supports diversity and inclusion.
|Job Summary/Basic Function:
Boise State University and St. Luke’s Health System have enjoyed a multi-year research partnership around St. Luke’s Concussion Clinic. This clinic is a unique interdisciplinary effort with substantial involvement in the community. At this time, both partners have agreed to create a new post-doctoral research fellowship position. This position will support St. Luke’s providers, researchers and Boise State faculty, across a portfolio of human subject’s research. This is a fully funded post-doctoral scholar position in concussion. It is expected that multiple manuscripts and at least one grant application will result from this work. It is anticipated that experiences had by the fellow will provide an excellent foundation for future opportunities through involvement with concussion research. The candidate will work with the existing data from concussion patients and develop the data-driven predictive models for concussion diagnosis and recovery. The fellow will have the opportunity to develop an individual line of inquiry in addition to supporting existing projects.
Preferred start date is August 2021. The position is initially for 2 years with possibility of renewal. The mentor team includes Shuqi Zhang, PhD and Kurt Nilsson, MD, MS.
The Boise State University Center for Orthopaedic and Biomechanics Research (COBR) is a partnership between the Department of Mechanic and Biomedical Engineering and the Department of Kinesiology. The mission of COBR is to advance the understanding of the mechanical and neuromuscular characteristics of human movement through basic science, engineering, clinical research and education.
Additionally, Boise State University and St. Luke’s Health System have enjoyed a multi-year research partnership around St. Luke’s Concussion Clinic. This clinic is a unique interdisciplinary effort with substantial involvement in the community. At this time, both partners have agreed to create a new post-doctoral research fellowship position. This position will support St. Luke’s providers, researchers and Boise State faculty, across a portfolio of human subject’s research. This is a fully funded post-doctoral scholar position in concussion.
For more information about the COBR: https://www.boisestate.edu/cobr/
For more information about the St. Luke Medical center: https://www.stlukesonline.org/
For more information about the St .Luke’s Sports Medicine Concussion Clinic: https://www.stlukesonline.org/health-services/conditions/concussion
Provide initiation and support of research activities at St. Luke’s Health System and Boise State University’s Center for Orthopaedic and Biomechanics Research (COBR) and College of Health and Sciences to include, but not limited to, the following:
- Conduct literature reviews and summaries
- Collaborate with St. Luke’s providers and researchers and Boise State faculty/researchers to identify areas of research
- Assist with data analysis, collection, and dissemination as directed by Principal Investigators
- Attend regular meetings with St. Luke’s providers, Boise State researchers, supervisors and other stakeholders to develop and implement research projects
- Support Principal Investigators with development of project study design and protocols and write reports and help develop/ co-author peer-reviewed publications, grant application materials, and other materials necessary to further the goals of the research group
|Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- The selected candidate must be able to meet eligibility requirements for work in the United States at the time the appointment is scheduled to begin and to continue working legally for the proposed term of the appointment.
- Excellent teamwork and communication skills.
- Scientific writing skills demonstrated through peer-reviewed publications
- Ability to acquire accurate, reproducible data
- Critical eye towards consistency, reproducibility, and the scientific method in general
- Excellent project and time management skills
- Strong interpersonal and mentoring skills
- Advocate for safety and ethics in the workplace
- Must have earned a PhD from an accredited institution
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent critical thinking skills
- Excellent organization skills
- Advanced data analysis skills and the ability to implement analysis
- Independent worker
- Good Communicator
- Understanding of clinical data and medical terminology
- A PhD in relevant discipline, such as Biomechanics, Biomedical Engineering, Kinesiology or Rehabilitation Science
- Previous experience in a clinical setting
- Knowledge of programming languages (i.e., Matlab, Python, and R)
- Clinical knowledge of concussion and experience working with the concussion population or other neurological diseases
- Knowledge of brain imaging
- A track record of journal publications in neuromuscular control of movement, postural control, biomechanics, concussion, or brain injury
|Salary and Benefits:
Salary commensurate with experience. Boise State University is committed to offering a benefits package that provides health and financial protection plans as well as resources to promote health and well-being. Our program provides flexibility so you can choose the benefits that are right for you and your family. Learn more about our benefit options at https://www.boisestate.edu/hrs/benefits/.
|Required Application Materials:
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- Three references
- Letter of interest addressing prior experience with any aspect of concussion research and a brief statement outlining a concussion project of interest to the applicant
The position is open until filled.
If you have any question regarding this position, please contact Shuqi Zhang, PhD (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Kurt Nilsson, MD, MS (email@example.com).