Boise State University, powered by creativity and innovation, stands uniquely positioned in the Northwest as a metropolitan research university of distinction. Learn more about Boise State and the City of Boise at https://www.boisestate.edu/about/boise-and-beyond/. Boise State University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Boise State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply. We are a welcoming campus that supports diversity and inclusion.
University Financial Services (UFS) is a unit within the Division of Finance and Administration. You will be joining an intentionally built culture with a strategic focus. Our team follows the Enterprise Operating System (EOS) to drive results. All members of UFS are involved.
Our value words are:
Team Oriented: understands the dynamics of the team; works cohesively and inclusively to accomplish a common goal.
Gets Things Done: prioritizes tasks and achieves the end goal.
Continuous Improvement: intentional commitment to making things better every day.
Ethical: honesty and integrity guide personal and professional behavior and judgment.
Adaptable: adjusts to change, being flexible, versatile and cooperative.
Problem Solver: identifies and understands the interrelated components of an issue and seeks to implement solutions.
Respect and Inclusivity: demonstrates care, concern and consideration for the perspective, needs and feelings of others.
To learn more about our unit, visit https://www.boisestate.edu/vpfa-avpfa/about-us/.
|Job Summary/Basic Function:
The Senior Accountant is a member of a creative, inclusive and supportive team striving to deliver outstanding service to University, students, departments and external customers. The ideal candidate is a self-motivated professional with a solid understanding of tax and accounting concepts who enjoys learning, collaborating with team members and cultivating relationships.
The Controller’s Office supports the University’s Academic Mission by
- Ensuring the Integrity of the University’s financial accounting and reporting systems
- Safeguarding University assets
- Preparing complete, unbiased and timely disclosures and financial reports
- Providing effective and efficient accounting and operational support while complying with University, federal, state and regulatory financial guidelines
This position has the opportunity for hybrid and/or flexible scheduling.
Recognized subject matter expert who knows how to apply theory and put it into practice with in-depth understanding of the professional field with limited oversight from managers. Independently performs the full range of responsibilities within the function; requires deep job knowledge of area typically obtained through higher education combined with experience. Manages large projects or processes and problems faced are difficult and often complex; analyzes problems/issues of diverse scope and determines solutions. May manage programs that include formulating strategies and administering policies, processes, and resources; functions with a high degree of autonomy. Influences others regarding policies, practices and procedures.
60% of Time the Accountant, Sr. must:
● Combines excellent analytical skills with a thorough knowledge of accounting principles to analyze financial reports and forecasts.
● Experience collaborating and/or managing a team of accountants and junior accountants.
● Look for trends and variances to ensure acceptable business practices and procedures have been followed for compliance with Federal and State laws. With the results of the research/analysis, conclusions must be drawn and communicated to the appropriate person/department. This can result in changes to a process or system for compliance reasons.
● May prepare and submit federal and state biweekly, monthly, quarterly and year end tax reports.
● Responsible for auditing finance records.
● May supervise or lead. Coordinate the development and implementation of policies and procedures for internal controls and business affairs to achieve the overall goals of the department.
35% of the time:
● Research tax regulations, provide recommendations for changes, verify adequate supporting documentation is on file to support tax return calculations.
● Responsible for reviewing finance and payroll records.
● Responsible for reviewing tax liability reconciliations and transactions.
● Recommends, creates and updates policies and procedures as needed.
● Assists in the monthly, quarterly and fiscal year-end process as needed including but not limited to preparation of work papers, reconciliations and account analysis.
● Assists in providing training and conducting meetings throughout the University to disseminate information and improve compliance and processes.
● Review requests for independent contractors within thresholds.
● Assist international students with understanding tax regulations applicable to non-US taxpayers.
● Cross-train and backup other accountants on tax reporting tasks.
5% Other duties as assigned.
|Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
● Ability to lead a team of professional staff, serve as an internal resource and consultant, and work collaboratively with all employees and key business partners.
● Ability to interpret and appropriately apply accounting principles and regulations.
● Experience in applying and writing policies and procedures.
● Excellent analytical skills and experience interpreting financial data.
● Ability to manage time and deliver projects in a timely manner in an environment of competing priorities.
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
● Requires strong computer skills with an emphasis on Excel.
● Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Accounting, Business or related field plus 5 years minimum experience in similar type of work
|● Two to five years of experience in tax return preparation and researching tax regulations.
● Ability to interpret and apply federal and state tax regulations.
● Experience collaborating with a team of accountants and junior accountants.
● ERP reporting experience.
● Working knowledge in financial analysis.
|Salary and Benefits:
Starting at $65,000/year. Boise State University is committed to offering a benefits package that provides health and financial protection plans as well as resources to promote health and well-being. Our program provides flexibility so you can choose the benefits that are right for you and your family.
● Employee contributions: 6.97% University contributions: 9.27%
● Health Insurance Premiums https://www.boisestate.edu/hrs/benefits/medical-prescription-dental-and-vision/
● Tuition Fee Waiver: for self, spouse, and dependents https://www.boisestate.edu/hrs/benefits/tuition-fee-waiver-benefit/
● Flexible Spending Accounts
● Life Insurance
● Time Off
● Sick Leave
● Vacation Leave
Learn more about our benefit options at https://www.boisestate.edu/hrs/benefits/.
|Required Application Materials:
Cover letter and resume.
Interviews will begin two weeks after posting, the week of December 6th.