Boise State University, powered by creativity and innovation, stands uniquely positioned in the Northwest as a metropolitan research university of distinction. Learn more about Boise State and the City of Boise at https://www.boisestate.edu/about/
Boise State University is building an inclusive community of faculty and staff whose unique skills, cultural contributions, work history, and perspectives create a rich and rewarding academic experience for our students. Research demonstrates that people thrive when they feel welcome, respected, and inspired. We seek applicants who are committed to helping us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community. Applications from members of historically marginalized groups, including women, BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color), those with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ+ community, those who have served in the military, and members of other underrepresented communities are strongly encouraged.
|Job Summary/Basic Function:
Assistant Teachers are responsible for supporting the emotional and educational needs of all young children. They must assist Lead Teachers with intentionally preparing and maintaining an enriched learning environment for individual children based on developmentally appropriate programs according to NAEYC Accreditation Standards. The Assistant Teacher helps the Lead Teacher assess the needs of each child in their classroom, and then uses this assessment data to differentiate and individualize instruction to support each child’s developing skills and knowledge. Assistant Teachers are held accountable for nurturing all children, responding to their interests and needs, and making learning meaningful based on their curiosity and concrete methods. Assistant Teachers assist the Lead Teacher in implementing the curriculum, developing ongoing positive partnerships with parents and providing responsive, respectful care for individual needs of children; supervising and evaluating all classroom staff, volunteers, & practicum students in the Lead Teachers absence; maintaining a safe and sanitary environment; performing related work in collaboration with other team teachers.
The Children’s Center provides a warm and nurturing environment for children that will promote each child’s physical, social, emotional, creative, and intellectual development. Our philosophy is based on the belief that each child is unique. Because we understand that children are naturally curious, we know they learn best when allowed to explore and work together with adults and peers. As they are involved in meaningful play, they are able to build on what they already know.
Classroom activities reflect these needs and foster independence, creativity, a sense of empathy and cooperation. We also know children need knowledgeable, nurturing, consistent teacher/caregivers who understand the stages of child development, respect family needs and promote cultural diversity. The staff is dedicated to building strong partnerships with families to enrich Children’s experiences.
Entry-level professional with limited or no prior experience to contribute on a project or work team. Incumbent learns to use professional concepts to resolve problems of limited scope and complexity under close supervision while achieving day-to-day objectives. Works on developmental assignments that are initially routine in nature, requiring limited judgment and decision making. This level is typically focused on self development. Requires theoretical knowledge through specific education and training.
60 % of Time Teacher, Children’s Center Associate will:
● Interact frequently and respectfully with all children.
● Encourage independence and modeling the use of language.
● Respect and build positive relationships with children and families
● Create a positive emotional climate for children and staff members
● Facilitate positive peer interactions
● Create a predictable, consistent and harmonious classroom.
● Honor and nurture young children’s curiosities and place their interests at the center of our curriculum. We encourage children’s inquiry into their world and support them as initiators, researchers, inventors and explorers.
● Implement lesson plans based on children’s interests and a knowledge of each child’s assessment and screening data; including acquiring a general understanding of the Idaho's Early Learning EGuidelines and NAEYC guidelines for accreditation.
● Intentionally observe and provide respectful attention to children’s words, actions and creations.
● Prioritize the whole child by equally valuing all domains of children’s development, including cognitive, communication, motor, physical, sensory and social-emotional development. Respect all children’s right to grow and develop at their own pace.
● Implement a developmentally appropriate, high quality program for all the children in the group, making reasonable accommodations for children with special needs.
|Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
● Ability to read and interpret written information from a variety of sources in order to complete assignments/duties, and interact with children, parents and staff.
● Ability to write routine reports and correspondence in order to track and direct ongoing activities and work in progress.
● Ability to speak effectively before groups of children, parents, support staff and other teachers.
● Bachelor’s OR Associates degree AND/OR equivalent experience taking care of young children in group care settings
The physical requirements necessary to perform the essential duties of the position.
LICENSURE OR CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
● Currently have, or willing to obtain Boise City Child Care license prior to employment
● Currently have, or willing to obtain pediatric CPR & First Aid prior to employment
|● Bachelor’s Degree in Early Childhood Education preferred.
|Salary and Benefits:
Salary range starting at $14/hr; commensurate with experience. Boise State University is committed to offering a benefits package that provides health and financial protection plans as well as resources to promote health and well-being.
● Retirement plan: Employee contributions: 6.97% University contributions: 9.27%
● Health Insurance Premiums https://www.boisestate.edu/hrs/benefits/medical-prescription-dental-and-vision/
● Tuition Fee Waiver: for self, spouse, and dependents https://www.boisestate.edu/hrs/benefits/tuition-fee-waiver-benefit/
● Flexible Spending Accounts
● Life Insurance
● Time Off
● Sick Leave
● Vacation Leave
● Learn more about our benefit options at https://www.boisestate.edu/hrs/benefits/.
|Required Application Materials:
Resume and Cover letter.