Boise State University, powered by creativity and innovation, stands uniquely positioned in the Northwest as a metropolitan research university of distinction. Learn more about Boise State and the City of Boise at https://www.boisestate.edu/about/
Boise State University is building an inclusive community of faculty and staff whose unique skills, cultural contributions, work history, and perspectives create a rich and rewarding academic experience for our students. Research demonstrates that people thrive when they feel welcome, respected, and inspired. We seek applicants who are committed to helping us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community. Applications from members of historically marginalized groups, including women, BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color), those with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ+ community, those who have served in the military, and members of other underrepresented communities are strongly encouraged.
|Job Summary/Basic Function:
Assist professional provider staff in providing medical care to patients. Perform back office medical care including direct patient care, phlebotomy, medication refills and administration, injections, routine CLIA waived lab testing, assisting with minor procedures and other functions and duties that comply with all state and federal regulations and requirements for the position of Certified/ Registered Medical Assistant.
Applies basic skills while developing some specialized skills in procedures, operations, techniques, tools, materials, and/or equipment appropriate to area of specialization; performs routine and/or repetitive tasks; limited decision making required; generally works under close supervision; has no or limited experience; work is performed from within specific limits of established procedures and/or defined instructions.
60% of the Time the Medical Assistant must:
- Patient Check-in and General Care
- Get patient ready and set up for specific exams; e.g., all vital signs, gowning, eye chart examinations, surgical tray set up, organization for patient-provider flow, performing necessary lab tests prior to provider seeing patient as per standing orders of specific provider.
- General care: ear irrigation, eye exam, autoclaving, EKG’s, nebulizer treatments, glucometer checks, cleaning instruments, CLIA-waived tests. Exam room stocking, respiratory treatments and testing including spirometry, pulse oxymetry, OSHA compliance testing, QA participation, assisting with minor surgical procedures.
- Dispensary: Refill medications based on medical provider orders, administer medications via appropriate routes per medical provider orders, assist with inventory control, expiration checks, dispensing per medical provider orders.
35% of Time the Medical Assistant must:
- All Lab Functions and Duties
- Blood drawing (phlebotomy): centrifuge blood tubes, fill out lab requisition forms, prepare specimens for transport to outside lab services, perform CLIA-waived tests in-house, assist with special screening testing required for specific programs, example sickle cell screenings for NCAA athletes.
- Injections: immunizations, allergy injections, TB skin tests, medication administration including contraceptives per medical provider written orders.
- Specialty Student Campaigns: assist with student immunization clinics, specific screening tests for programs using standing orders per Medical Director.
5% of Time the Medical Assistant must:
- Scheduling Appointments and General Other Office Duties
- Make appointments with medical or counseling providers as appropriate or needed.
- Return phone calls, call in refills to outside pharmacies, triage and contact regarding labor other test results.
- Phone triage for students calling for medical advice, direction or home health care management.
- Other clinical and non-clinical duties as assigned.
|Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Experience: in medication administration; performing clinical venipuncture, injections, and vital signs; in obtaining health histories.
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services
Experience: performing Medical Assistant duties under the supervision of a licensed physician or designated clinical staff. Basic knowledge of ICD-9-CM and CPT medical coding (International Classification of Diseases - 9th Revision Clinical Modification and Current Procedural Terminology). Experience using a computer to enter and retrieve information.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent
- Successful completion of an accredited Medical Assistant Program
- The ability to respond quickly and efficiently
- The ability and incentive to follow through
- The ability to perform all tasks accurately
- Respect to all patients and staff
- Adherence to HIPAA policies
- Current CPR certification
- Excellent teamwork
- The ability to learn and effectively use identified computer programs
- Demonstrate empathy and caring
- Excellent organizational skills
- A focus on patient-centered care and satisfaction
- Designation and maintenance of Registered-level or Certified-level MA
- The ability to function effectively in a fast-paced environment
Distinguishes a superior worker from an average worker:
- Two to three years minimum MA experience in a similar setting.
- Knowledge of basic CPT and ICD-9 coding is helpful
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- The ability to recognize when help is needed and respond in a caring manner
- Self-starter and takes initiative within scope of responsibility
|Salary and Benefits:
Salary range is between $13.39 to $17.17 per hour. Boise State University is committed to offering a benefits package that provides health and financial protection plans as well as resources to promote health and well-being. Our program provides flexibility so you can choose the benefits that are right for you and your family. Learn more about our benefit options at https://www.boisestate.edu/hrs/benefits/.
- Public Employee Retirement System of Idaho:
- Employee contributions: 7.16% University contributions: 11.94%
- Tuition Fee Waiver: for self, spouse, and dependents
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Life Insurance
- Time Off
- Sick Leave
- Vacation Leave
- Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
|Required Application Materials:
Please submit a cover letter indicating your interest and qualifications as well as a resume with employment history and three professional references.