Boise State University, powered by creativity and innovation, stands uniquely positioned in the Northwest as a metropolitan research university of distinction. Interested applicants are encouraged to apply for the
Electronics Technician role in the College of Engineering.
Boise State University is building an inclusive community of faculty and staff whose unique skills, cultural contributions, work history, and perspectives create a rich and rewarding academic experience for our students. Research demonstrates that people thrive when they feel welcome, respected, and inspired. We seek applicants who are committed to helping us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community. Applications from members of historically marginalized groups, including women, BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color), those with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ+ community, those who have served in the military, and members of other underrepresented communities are strongly encouraged.
|Job Summary/Basic Function:
The Electronics Technician will maintain, repair, and develop research laboratory equipment and electronics. Consult with faculty and students on testing and design solutions for existing and developing engineering problems. Troubleshoot and correct electrical issues for equipment used by both faculty and students.
- Design, assemble and repair electrical and electronic equipment used in classrooms or laboratories used by faculty or students.
- Read, interpret, and utilize electronic schematics to troubleshoot high-level and board-level systems.
- Apply the latest electrical engineering testing and data acquisition techniques. Labview preferred
- Apply a background and knowledge of electrical and electronic systems to the set-up repair and modification of existing laboratory equipment to ensure it will perform as designated
- Maintain current knowledge of the latest techniques and commercial hardware available for use in electronic control of hydraulic, mechanical, and electrical systems.
- Interface with equipment vendors for service, repairs, and upgrades as needed.
- Maintain and apply current knowledge in modern safety practices as applied to electronic laboratory operations.
- Maintain conformance to project deliverables, timelines, and budgets.
- Research, recommend, then receive and set up any new electrical/electronic equipment or supplies needed for the operation of the engineering laboratories or classrooms.
- Assist the College of Engineering’s Facilities with assembly and operationally check new equipment to ensure it will perform as expected.
|Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
The successful candidate will possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Must be self-directing, able to work with little or no supervision, and possess technical confidence in a wide range of areas.
- Experience designing, building, testing, and troubleshooting electronic circuits and systems.
- Experience with electrical and electronic test and measurement equipment including oscilloscopes, multimeters, power supplies, signal generators, and associated equipment.
- Engineering design and troubleshooting skills.
- Must be skilled in the use of electrical and electronic circuit testing and diagnostic equipment.
- Must be able to learn and utilize specialized software programs required for individual instrumentation and equipment including software drivers and interfaces to this equipment.
- Ability to quickly learn new and complex software packages as required to support instrumentation and equipment.
- Project management skills and excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Standard office productivity software is required.
- Must be able to quickly learn the performance parameters of a wide variety of specialized pieces of equipment allowing the assembly of test systems.
- Must be able to quickly learn and apply standardized test procedures.
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience.
Four to five years of hands-on experience in the repair of electronics and electrical equipment
|Two-year associate's degree or certification in Electronic Tech/Engineering, or equivalent military training and experience in electronics.
|Salary and Benefits:
Salary range $45,905.60 to $54,017.60 depending on experience. Boise State University is committed to offering a benefits package that provides health and financial protection plans as well as resources to promote health and well-being. Our program provides flexibility so you can choose the benefits that are right for you and your family. Learn more about our benefit options at https://www.boisestate.edu/hrs/benefits/.
- Tuition Fee Waiver: for self, spouse, and dependents
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Life Insurance
- Time Off
- Sick Leave
- Vacation Leave
- Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
|Required Application Materials:
When applying, include the following:
• Cover letter indicating your interest and qualifications for the position
• Resume with employment history (including dates of employment)
• Three professional references with contact information