Boise State University is building an inclusive community of faculty and staff whose unique skills, cultural contributions, work history, and perspectives create a rich and rewarding academic experience for our students. Research demonstrates that people thrive when they feel welcome, respected, and inspired. We seek applicants who are committed to helping us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community. Applications from members of historically marginalized groups, including women, BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color), those with disabilities, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, those who have served in the military, and members of other underrepresented communities are strongly encouraged.
|Job Summary/Basic Function:
Responsible for leading a growing and dynamic Department of Housing and Residence Life program serving 3000 residents in traditional, suite and apartment style residence halls, including a family and graduate housing community, summer conferences and guest housing. The Executive Director will guide the planning and completion of current and future residential housing projects and play a critical role in meeting the university’s undergraduate enrollment and retention objectives. As a campus collaborator, promotes a vision that prioritizes and advances inclusivity and multicultural practice supporting students and staff of all identities. The Executive Director oversees student development programs that enhance the live-on experiences for residents who choose to reside on-campus and collaborates in this endeavor with other student and academic affairs leaders.
Housing & Residence Life is home to approximately 3000 students and staff in 10 campus living communities. Housing & Residence Life is a space that seeks to welcome and affirm diverse students and professionals in their intersectional identities. Housing and Residence Life provides a vibrant residential experience that promotes inclusiveness, learning, academic excellence, and meaningful relationships.
Oversees through subordinate Managers a large, complex organization with multiple functional disciplines/occupations, OR manages a program, regardless of size, that has critical impact upon the campus. Significant responsibility for formulating and administering policies and programs, manages significant human, financial, and physical resources, and functions with a very high degree of autonomy. Frequently influences business decisions made by senior leadership. Oversees through subordinate Managers the accountability and stewardship of campus resources and the development of systems and procedures to protect organizational assets. Negotiates and influences others to understand and accept new concepts, practices and approaches.
Leadership and Supervision
- Develop and guide strategic planning initiatives for housing and residence life as well as set short-term goals and implement organizational priorities that complement the mission of the University.
- Work closely with the University’s Capital Planning and Facilities departments to assess and determine housing needs both from occupancy and building maintenance standpoints.
- Supervise a competent and knowledge team of staff and students to include recruitment, on-boarding, training, and continued professional development to establish operational priorities, motivate and monitor progress and evaluate performance.
- Set and maintain a vision and plan that increases staff retention and morale in a complex and dynamic environment and advance employee engagement and professional development.
- Work collaboratively with academic partners to oversee the University’s Living-Learning Program and its eight themed residential communities offering academic and personal development opportunities outside the classroom.
- Monitor the quality of programming provided to students. Anticipate, develop, and implement best practices that contribute to a sense of belonging and are responsive to emerging trends regarding student issues, programming, and operations.
- Collaborate with department and Student Affairs and Enrollment Management communications and marketing colleagues to promote a proactive approach to marketing and communication efforts.
- Respond to campus emergencies as required. Provide comprehensive crisis management systems in the residential areas.
- Engage and support a diverse campus community and foster a welcoming, supportive, safe, and inclusive environment that promotes connection to campus life. Ensure diversity training is a component in staff development plans.
- Utilize strong business acumen and a financial stewardship mindset to oversee financial modeling to strategically manage occupancy, maximize revenue generation and prepare for planned enrollment growth of residential properties.
- Lead multi-year capital and financial planning to develop strategies that preserve and grow university housing assets and support the overall vision and strategic plan for Housing.
- Develop and oversee a $15 million auxiliary budget for Housing and Residence Life including the navigation of the financial and programmatic aspects of the university’s 3rd party contract in the management of the Honors and Sawtooth Hall.
- Lead or initiate projects with university units such as capital planning, facilities operations and maintenance, and transportation services to maximize cost savings, advocate for department needs and prioritization of projects.
- Represent Housing and Residence Life in establishing agreements with campus partners and 3rd party vendors.
Departmental Strategic Planning
- Develop both short- and long-term goals that are consistent with, and contribute to, the mission and vision of the University.
- Regularly assess effectiveness of departmental goals, objectives and programs.
- Identify student demands and needs for on-campus housing and update and implement the University’s Housing master plan aligned with student needs and the University’s strategic goals.
- Execute the Housing and Residence Life master plan including the construction of new first-year student housing.
|Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Strong leadership, organizational, and strategic thinking skills
- Highly collaborative and ethical leader
- Knowledge of student development theory and its application to working with students, including the impact the campus residential life experience has on student success.
- Significant knowledge and experience overseeing cost effective operations, facility
- management, including maintenance and cleaning, capital project development, and proven ability to oversee construction and renovation of planned and future residential housing projects.
- Knowledge of industry standards as established within the collegiate housing profession
- General knowledge of budget management principles with specific emphasis upon capital projects, utility use reduction, and appropriate personnel structures.
- Knowledge of housing data management systems.
- Ability to manage a large department composed of varying staffing levels.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent and 8 years experience including 5 years managerial experience
- Master’s or doctoral degree in student affairs, higher education, or equivalent and 8 years housing and residential life experience including 5 years managerial experience
|Salary and Benefits:
Salary range begins at $115,000. Boise State University is committed to offering a benefits package that provides health and financial protection plans as well as resources to promote health and well-being. Our program provides flexibility so you can choose the benefits that are right for you and your family. Learn more about our benefit options at https://hrs.boisestate.edu/benefits/.
- Tuition Fee Waiver: for self, spouse, and dependents
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Life Insurance
- Time Off
- Sick Leave
- Vacation Leave
- Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
|Required Application Materials:
Cover letter detailing interest and qualifications for the position
Professional resume/CV with dates of employment
Three professional references
Review of applications will begin on July 5, 2022 and the position will remain open until filled.