Boise State University seeks an Executive Director for the newly formed Institute for Microelectronics Education and Research (MER). The founding Executive Director will lead and coordinate university strategic planning related to Microelectronics and help make Boise State the premier University in our region for fostering a pro-business environment for High-Tech industries. The Executive Director will be tasked to work with federal and state agencies on research and educational funding opportunities as well as supporting partnerships with other universities, including regional community colleges. To encourage strong industry partnerships, the university envisions the MER Executive Director to be someone with significant experience in the microelectronics industry and strong relationship-building skills. This position will oversee administrative and budget aspects of the Institute. An industrial advisory board and Internal Steering Committee will support the Executive Director and provide guidance to MER. The MER Executive Director will report to the university’s Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs.
About the Institute
Through an expansion of workforce development and use-inspired research, the Institute will help tech industries solve modern challenges and lead innovation in microelectronics.
MER has been created to enable engagement in a wide range of opportunities across the campus. Boise State University’s interdisciplinary approach brings together engineering, science, education, and business. The Institute will provide a central location for university researchers and educators to pursue relevant funding and to engage with industry, state, and federal agencies in microelectronics and will also serve as a central point of contact for external organizations to engage with the university, provide input on their needs, and gain access to students in desired disciplines. It will provide the mechanism to align university resources with the needs of industry and government agencies for the greatest impact.
- Experience at a senior leadership level in the microelectronics industry with particular emphasis in semiconductors
- Experience leading teams and developing a vision in the context of an inclusive culture
- Experience in leading the development and implementation of a strategic plan
- Proven record of success as an effective, transparent, and participatory administrative leader with responsibility for decision making
- Experience with federally-funded sponsored projects and their implementation
- Relationship builder who engages external constituencies and fosters collaborative relationships with diverse communities and stakeholders
- Demonstrated success in collaborations or partnerships with industry
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills and interpersonal skills
- The ability to manage complex budgets as well as prioritize resources in alignment with strategic goals
- Ability to create collaborative relationships across diverse academic disciplines
- Commitment to serving a diverse population in the State of Idaho and closing equity gaps in educational attainment and student success
- Relationships and experience with semiconductor suppliers and consortia
- Collaborative R&D experience between academic institutions and industry
Salary and Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience. Compensation equivalent to Dean or Associate Vice President. Boise State University is committed to offering a benefits package that provides health and financial protection plans as well as resources to promote health and well-being. Our program provides flexibility so you can choose the benefits that are right for you and your family.
Required Application Materials: Please submit:
- Cover letter indicating your interests and qualifications for this position
- Resume/CV that includes employment history (including dates of employment)
- Provide three professional references with contact information
- Provide a cohesive vision describing how you would lead the MER Institute’s work at Boise State with industry, government, and university partners. Please include details of how you plan to grow Boise State’s microelectronics education and research initiatives.
Closing Date: Screening of complete applications will begin immediately and continue until the completion of the search process.
Please direct all questions about this position and posting to Sierra Buttars, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Boise State University is a public institution and may be required to release the names of applicants, upon request, to the extent required by the Idaho Public Records Laws.
About Boise State
Boise State University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Boise State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply. We are a welcoming campus that supports diversity and inclusion.
Boise State is Idaho’s largest Carnegie Doctoral Research University, enrolling the largest number of graduate students in Idaho. It is among 20 global universities identified by Times Higher Education as on a trajectory “to become globally renowned in the next 10 to 20 years.” Boise is an ideal place to live – a hub of government, business, arts, recreation of all types, health care, industry, and technology.
Boise State University, powered by creativity and innovation, stands uniquely positioned in the Northwest as a metropolitan research university of distinction. Learn more about a career at Boise State.
Located along the foothills of the Rocky Mountains and ranked in the top 25 on Forbes’ 2017 list of the best cities for young professionals, Boise provides a vibrant downtown with unlimited cultural and recreational opportunities ranging from art and dining to world-class whitewater, skiing, mountain biking, road cycling, running, hiking, climbing, fishing, and camping. Among the fastest-growing cities in the United States, Boise is considered a premier place to work, live, and play. Learn more about Boise.