Boise State University, powered by creativity and innovation, stands uniquely positioned in the Northwest as a metropolitan research university of distinction. Learn more about Boise State and the City of Boise at https://www.boisestate.edu/about/
Boise State University is building an inclusive community of faculty and staff whose unique skills, cultural contributions, work history, and perspectives create a rich and rewarding academic experience for our students. Research demonstrates that people thrive when they feel welcome, respected, and inspired. We seek applicants who are committed to helping us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community. Applications from members of historically marginalized groups, including women, BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color), those with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ+ community, those who have served in the military, and members of other underrepresented communities are strongly encouraged.
|Job Summary/Basic Function:
Provides technical support for programs and organizational activities to convey information, determine compliance, and resolve controversial situations; acts as a resident expert in the implementation and maintenance of technical program guidelines; perform related work.
The Division of Extended Studies is on a mission to extend higher education beyond traditional boundaries. Our collaborative teams expand student access and improve student success with innovative programs that reach across our metropolitan area, Idaho and beyond. We facilitate online education, community-based programs, concurrent enrollment at high schools, summer sessions, continuing education programs and other lifelong learning options. Join us!
Extended Studies Customer Services Team is the in-person, front-facing support for programs within the division. We provide both student and departmental support through phone, email, and in-person assistance. This assistance includes course setup, registration, payment, and online registration support for the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, K12 Professional Development, Professional and Continuing Education, and Concurrent Enrollment.
Applies skills and job knowledge in area of specialization; may adapt procedures, operations, techniques, tools, materials, and/or equipment to meet needs of area of specialization; may work on non-routine tasks; resolves issues/makes working decisions within area of specialization or responsibility with minimal supervision.
● This class is distinguished from the Technical Records Specialist 1 by the requirement for the use of judgment, discretion, and interpretation of a variety of complex guideline policies and procedures for different programs within a related field. The incumbent is responsible for the final work and any consequence of error. The work requires extensive knowledge of department programs and objectives. The program knowledge is of such a complex nature that it typically takes new incumbents a substantial amount of time to learn. Incumbents function with considerable independence and exercise discretion in applying policies and procedures.
● Incumbents perform complex and difficult program support functions for multiple or highly specialized programs. Incumbents have the authority, knowledge, and judgment to devise solutions that fall outside existing policies and procedures. The work requires problem solving and negotiation skills with authority to act on decisions made. Incumbents serve as a program expert; and provide guidance and assistance regarding complex program rules and regulations to office staff and external customers. Due to the nature of the work, incumbents have frequent contact with internal and external customers, which requires good public relation skills. Incumbents function with considerable independence and exercise discretion in applying policies and procedures. The work requires extensive knowledge of department programs and objectives. Incumbents may supervise support staff or perform leadwork duties.
● Admission and student academic and non-credit program support functions including:
- Evaluate applications and determine appropriate courses of action for admitting and registering undergraduate and graduate students.
- Identify opportunities to improve processes and streamline procedures related to admission and registration.
● Internal and external customer support including:
- Provide outstanding customer support via telephone, electronically, and face-to-face.
Obtain and evaluate all relevant information to handle service inquiries.
● Research and resolve system, process, and customer service-related issues including:
- Investigate student registration and payment issues to identify and propose long-term solutions.
- Identify and troubleshoot system problems that affect course input, student registration, fee calculation, and schedule production in the registration systems.
- Assist students, faculty, and staff with problems, issues, and concerns related to all programs offered through the Division of Extended Studies.
● Perform other duties as assigned.
|Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
● Some knowledge of: supervisory practices and data management.
● Experience: conducting sensitive fact finding interviews; storing, retrieving and compiling information in a report format using database software and using spreadsheet software.
● Ability to operate under strict deadlines while maintaining accuracy and attention to detail.
● Excellent time management, organization, and project prioritization skills when dealing with conflicting priorities.
● Excellent communication and customer service skills including issue resolution and problem solving with customers in person, on the phone, and via email.
● Avid critical thinking skills with a detail-oriented drive for continuous process improvements.
● Ability to see both the big picture and fine details for processes and procedures including impacts.
Experience: monitoring record systems to identify and correct errors; interpreting, explaining, and applying laws, regulations, and complex policies for multiple or highly specialized programs; analyzing information and researching a variety of sources to identify and resolve problems or issues; dealing with individuals from varying cultural and socio-economic backgrounds in stressful situations; entering and retrieving data using a computerized record system; composing and proofreading business correspondence.
● 2 years relevant work experience or equivalent educational experience.
● Experience with Microsoft Suite and the following types of software applications: databases, registration systems, and payment systems.
● Work experience in higher education at a college or university.
|Salary and Benefits:
Salary of $19.50/hr, commensurate with experience. Boise State University is committed to offering a benefits package that provides health and financial protection plans as well as resources to promote health and well-being. Our program provides flexibility so you can choose the benefits that are right for you and your family. Learn more about our benefit options at https://www.boisestate.edu/hrs/benefits/.
|Required Application Materials:
● Cover Letter